Late Pregnancy Appointment
Are you past your estimated due date?
You may be feeling anxious, uncomfortable, or frustrated about being past your due date. A Late Pregnancy Appointment with our Naturopathic Doctor can help address your concerns and increase the chances of natural labour progression.
What is discussed during my appointment?
- Acupuncture - Acupuncture has been shown not only to help progress labour, but also to help relax and ease pre-labour anxieties to enable cervical dilation and allow for natural labour progression. Research shows that expectant parents who receive acupuncture every other day past their due date have an increased chance of spontaneous labour, without induction.
- Herbs - Herbal remedies taken as tinctures act to tonify the uterus and encourage relaxation for contractions to begin naturally.
- Homeopathy - Homeopathic remedies can help address physical, mental, and emotional concerns, which can assist in labour progression.
- Lifestyle - You will learn about some strategies you can do at home that can help bring your labour on naturally.
What are the benefits of acupuncture for birth?
- Acupuncture once a week at 36 weeks onwards can have an overall positive effect on the birthing process. Pre-birth acupuncture has been shown to reduce the rate of medical interventions and achieve a shorter active labour.
- Acupuncture also plays a role in softening the cervix, engage baby with the pelvis, and beginning cervical dilation.
- Acupuncture can also help with turning a breech baby, and pain management during labour.
From a young age, I knew that a career in health and medicine was in my future. Having spent time in doctor's offices and hospitals to correct a congenital heart defect, the idea of providing care to families in need and educating them on their health was something that I knew I had to do. It motivated me to always be cautious of my actions and how I treat my body and I grew to really appreciate what being healthy was all about. A lifestyle that ensures you take care of yourself from the inside out. I completed my clinical internship at the Robert Schad Naturopathic Clinic, with a full year rotation on the paediatric focus shift, as well as the LAMP Community Health Centre in Toronto.
After graduation I moved to Beijing for a year with my husband. While there, I designed pregnancy and fertility workshops for a local spa and ran a health elective for local teens to educate them on proper nutrition, mental health, and fitness. While abroad, my husband and I got pregnant with our son and we decided to return back to Canada to begin raising our family close to home.